If given the choice right now to permenantly have that night erased from my memory, I wouldn't. It was time with my best friend. It was horrific. It was numbing. But it was time, my last time with her. Hospice wasn't there, even though I called them 4 hours before telling them things were getting really bad. No one showed up. It was just Kristi and I. It was unfair. It was wrong. It should have never happened, not to her. When I see some of the pieces of shit that are allowed to walk this earth unscathed and unpunished - hurting people, being sexual deviants, murdering people, cheating people, name your sin - I am dumbfounded that this was how God allowed her to die. I guess you are seeing a glimpse of my rants that I have locked away in my phone afterall. I don't apologize for it. I've seen people get just as mad when their favorite team loses a game. When the last thing I saw was her immense suffering, it is often hard to imagine her not still suffering. My mind has a hard time going there, as bad as I want it to.
I want her to come back for just a minute to say, "It's ok Scott. I'm ok now. I'm better now than I've ever been. It's beautiful here. I want you here with me but our kids need you there. Please quit being so angry. I love you."
However, C.S. Lewis' last comment in "A Grief Observed" says this: "How wicked it would be, if we could, to call the dead back! She said not to me but to the chaplain, 'I am at peace with God.' She smiled, but not at me."
So as bad as I want her to come back for just one minute to selfishly comfort me, it obviously will never happen. Like Lewis' wife, Kristi was also at peace with God, and I am at war. She is smiling, I am conflicted. She is whole, I am broken. If better is one day in His house than a thousand elsewhere, then she is living the dream and it would be wicked of me to want her back in this world, even for that one minute, where she suffered so much for so long.
Again, I have no idea what it’s like to lose a spouse. I can’t even imagine. I lost my mom when she was 49 and my daughter when she was 16. But, I do know I was feeling all the feelings that you have described. It’s NOT fair!!!!!!!!! There is no right or wrong way to grieve. There is just survival. I use to describe it as having bad days and having terrible days. It will get better one day, until then just do what you have to do to keep from going insane❤️
ReplyDeleteYou are right... That is EXACTLY what Kristi would say!
ReplyDeleteSo very proud of you and excited!!!
ReplyDeleteAnonymous is Vicki posting. I don’t know how to get my name to show up 🤣
ReplyDelete