The velvet voice.
I'm not sure who knows this but Kristi has always loved the music of Ronnie Milsap. She referred to him as the man with the velvet voice. From a child she has loved his music. She went to see him in concert when she was young and again recently when he came back for another tour in Birmingham, I surprised her with tickets to go see him. This was before her last surgery when she had the large tumor removed. She was still getting around ok at the time.
At that concert, we quickly learned that the aging Ronnie's talent had dwindled and it was such a heartbreaking thing for her because he and his velvet voice had always been up on a pedestal in her mind. He still put on a great show but it just wasn't the same as back in the late 70's and early 80's. But she loved getting to see and hear him again. She is a true fan. She read his biography, bought his tapes and CD's and anytime his songs would come on the radio in the car or in a department or grocery store, she would start singing. It is just like her to do it - funny and loveable.
Just a few months ago, while getting groceries in Lincoln on our way to Ohatchee where our camper is, the velvet voice came over the speakers in the store. And it was a decent volume, surprisingly louder than one would expect in a grocery store. Loud enough to sing with and not just hum softly, like you all know you do. Cue the backup singer! Kristi started singing it in another aisle, and I started crying...in the grocery store... because even though I had heard this song hundreds of times, the louder volume and the words opened up, and I couldn't control myself. This was shortly after the decision was made to forego any further treatment to fight this latest cancer.
The song "What a difference you've made in my life" caused a 51 year old man to cry in the Piggly Wiggly in the frozen foods section. I guess I had no choice. The velvet voice owned me for that few minutes.
This song describes Kristi to me. She has always made a difference in people's lives, but for her, this song isn't about her, it's about all of you. Go ahead, give it a listen.
https://youtu.be/PIC1XJUbHy8
No comments:
Post a Comment