May 7, 2023

Jan 16, 2023 - The AT Commitment

I'm not going to go into a long spiel about my weight history. Those who remember about 6 or 7 years ago knows that I dropped ~70 lbs and was very active, then quit, and it all came back. I have no excuse. Well, the kids and I joined a local fitness center here in PC, and so far, it's going ok. I have just finished my 4th workout in 6 days and feel pretty good about it. I had been carelessly over-eating for several months... ok, years, and the weight has really come back with a vengeance. Kristi always wanted me healthy, and I fought her on it most of our marriage. Food is just too good to quit eating! Her poor body was being brutally attacked for 5 years by cancer, and I was shoveling food in like it was about to disappear forever. I see it now. I refused to see it then. She wanted me healthy, even though she couldn't be. Cancer and chemo wouldn't let her. 

So now it's time. She wants this for me. I thought about keeping this under the radar, but hidden goals are easy to quit and fail. None is the wiser, right? I don't need cheerleaders, btw. I have one that is in my head the whole time I am on the equipment, and she is telling me I can do this, and that I can get healthy again and I can walk that trail for her. She is not here physically anymore, but she is a constant thought and voice in my conscience. For her, I will do this. For me alone, it's not worth it. I owe her this, and I owe my children this. She went through torture to try to stay alive for us and had no control of the outcome. I have control of mine, to an extent. I haven't set a goal date for the trail yet. I'm 51, and more things hurt now than they did 6 years ago. It will take some time and I'm good with that. But this is going to happen.

The trail is 2190 miles. It takes 5 to 7 months to complete at 8 to 10 miles a day. It costs around $5000 to $7000 for the expenses while on the trail. Obviously, this will not be a one-shot deal for me. I will get physically ready for it, maybe take a week vacation and hike what I can in that week and fly back home and do that several times over several years. I may not complete the whole 2190 miles but I will do enough to where I feel I have made her proud. That's my goal. I'm on record now... Facebook official.



No comments:

Post a Comment