May 6, 2023

Jan 8, 2023 - Thank you

 Thank you. 


I very much appreciate everyone that came to Kristi's celebration of life yesterday, and all of the kind and encouraging words spoken of her, and our family. This has been a very difficult reality that we have had to face coming and now that it has actually happened, we are overwhelmed at the emotion and love shown for her and towards us. The generosity and selflessness of really too many to mention has been incredible. But I will start with some that went above and beyond for our family: 


Ron Pate and David Awtrey for leading the memorial and preaching as Kristi would have wanted it - less about her and more about Jesus. Always. 


Jan Freeman and Janet Taylor  for the countless hours of help and support given to not just Kristi, but my entire family during holidays and random days of bringing food, decorations, and basically whatever was needed. 


James and Leigh Ann Mount  for being the best friends that we needed to stand beside us, "sweating eyes" and all, while we went through this difficult time, and kept us positive, laughing, and well fed. 


My sisters, Vicki Hallmark Dellinger  and Patty Hallmark Dickey, for the constant visits and supplying whatever we needed, whenever we needed it, and even doing it anyway when I said "no, you have done too much for us already." 


Jodi Beason Wallace, who recently started back chemo treatments for her own cancer, for organizing the meal yesterday but also for being a wonderful listener of my frustrations with what we were going thru and the bleak future that was ahead, and coming to just lay and hold hands with Kristi, whether she was asleep or awake. 


Tracy Davis, for the constant visits to see Kristi, laying beside her, comforting her and even singing to her because you knew she would love it, and yes I heard it from the other room. It was beautiful. 


Erin Evans, for the visits and meals made special for Kristi when she couldn't stomach the salty meals. She went out of her way to make them saltless but still delicious. 


My mom, Delores Hallmark, for the constant calls and organizing probably the largest amount of greeting cards ever received by Kristi, all from the confines of her nursing facility. We were getting 2 to 4 cards in the mail a day for several weeks that were so encouraging for us all. 


Various friends and family of Kristi that would send money or gift cards so that we could eat and cover other expenses because leaving the house and cooking meals were just not options for the last couple of months - Greg and Tiffany L Price, Cindy Leonard Ivy, Diane Johnston , Susie Hawkins, Kristi's parents and so many others. I don't mean to leave names off but I did not do a good job at record keeping during all of this. 


All of you that donated to the GiveSendGo fundraiser that my sisters started for the hospice bills. The bills have not come in yet but I look for them to start arriving soon. I have not spent a dime of what was given and it is sitting in my savings account ready to pay them when the bill does arrive. 


There were others which will remain nameless, but they were the ones that heard my spiritual gripes, anger and bitterness during Kristi's battle. They helped me wrestle with the demons and tried their best to keep me on track. They let me vent and say some fairly disturbing things that were all emotion driven, but yet never condemned me for it, but loved me thru it, and are still doing so. 


Lastly, Buddy and Diane Johnston, Kristi's uncle and aunt that provided Kristi's final resting place and grounds caretaker expenses for burial. Very unexpected but so very grateful. It was completely selfless and loving of them to do that for us. Still so blown away by their generosity. 


I don't mean to leave anyone out because we had help from so many of you. But at 7 AM on this first Sunday without my wife, and still having issues sleeping more than a couple of hours at a time, I am doing the best I can at remembering the details of the past few months. But I do thank you all. My children thank you. I can speak for Kristi and say what she would say, "Thank you for taking care of my family when I couldn't" which is probably the thing that weighed more on her than her disease - not being able to be the incredible wife and mother that she was for us for so many years. 


We love you all and pray that God returns to you many times over what you have  given to us. It's been a blessing and as Kristi told me a few weeks ago, "Remember what people have done for us during this and be that way, and more, for others. Be a big giver!"

No comments:

Post a Comment