May 6, 2023

Dec 27, 2022 - Imagine Me

 This song I have linked came out in 2005. Kirk Franklin's "Imagine Me" struck me like only a handful of songs have. It was one of those songs that reminds me of the time when my faith was the strongest. The video that goes with this song shows scenes from different lives dealing with different things:

- a veteran comes home missing a leg and feels less than the husband that he was when he left

- a wife with a child that has an abusive husband

- a single girl that is only used by men and has no self-worth

- a cancer patient, a mom that is confined to her room while her family is outside carrying on with life 

There is a part in the song at the end where it is just dialog - Kirk explaining what it's like the moment you are saved.  That part of the song is below: 


"This song is dedicated to people like me

Those that struggle with insecurities

Acceptance and even self-esteem

You never felt good enough

You never felt pretty enough

But imagine God whispering in your ear

Letting you know that everything that has happened is now...


Gone (all gone)

Every sin (gone)

Every mistake (gone)

Every failure (it's gone)

It's all gone (all gone)

Depression (gone)

Gone (gone)

By faith (it's gone)

(It's gone, it's gone, it's gone)

It's gone (all gone)

Low self-esteem (gone)

Hallelujah (gone)

It's gone (it's gone)

All gone (all gone) 


It's gone (gone)

All my scars (it's gone)

All my pain (all gone)

It's in the past (gone)

It's yesterday (gone)

It's all gone, ah (it's gone)

I can't believe it's gone (all gone)

Gone (gone)

What your mother did (gone)

What your father did (it's gone)

Hallelujah (all gone)

It's gone (gone)

All gone (gone)

Oh, gone (it's gone, all gone)

It's gone" 


The video always hit me hard, even back in 2005 when cancer was not even on our radar. The scenes of the mother in the bed and the daughter coming upstairs to see if she wanted to go outside with the rest of the family, but declines because cancer was winning... that always grabbed me and I never knew why. Maybe it was God doing a little prep work, maybe not. I won't speculate right now. Last night, while searching for glimpses of myself when I was the strongest in my faith, God dropped this video in my mind again. I could see every scene as clear as the first day I watched it. Gripping, hardened stress was melted in an instant. I remembered those intensely building "It's Gone! All gone! " shouts at the end of that song that opened my heart to what she will experience very soon. All her scars! It's GONE! All her pain! ALL GONE! I can't believe it's gone! ALL GONE! GONE! 

True, that is the feeling the spirit receives at the moment of salvation while we are alive. Kirk really nailed that in this song and I'm sure that was his intent. But that is also the reality her spirit will receive at the moment of death. And THAT brings me comfort. THAT gives me reason to rejoice in spite of my anger. The face of cancer is as brutal as it can be, but the final breath, that will be victory for Kristi. This helped me last night and maybe it will help you today with whatever you are going through.

https://youtu.be/I66SDeRQSJ4


No comments:

Post a Comment