May 7, 2023

Mar 11, 2023 - Another Rant

 Some statements are just too stupid to acknowledge but some deserve a special spotlight for it's asinine attempt at logic. I was watching a show on TV last night, and I don't remember what it was because I rarely stay on a show for its entirety because I just can't stay interested, but it was a group of people in a group grief therapy session and one person said, "I'm just so angry still. She didn't deserve to die from cancer so young and the way she died was just so inhumane." Yeah, that caught my attention because that is exactly where I am still.  But that wasn't the statement that got my blood boiling. It was the response. 


Another person, in an attempt to reduce the person's anger, which is a noble thing to do, said, "no amount of anger is going to bring her back."  And the actor playing the grieving husband shook his head in agreement and things seemed to get all better and "(hopeful music playing)" showed up on the closed caption. (I'm not hard of hearing. It's just a habit) Maybe I am just overly sensitive still but let's just throw any emotion in place of "anger" in that response. 

"No amount of happiness is going to bring her back"... so quit smiling.

"No amount of peace is going to bring her back"... so go back to not sleeping at night. 

"No amount of joy is going to bring her back"... so stop laughing so much.

"No amount of sorrow is going to bring her back"... so quit your crying. 


It's not the person's anger that's the problem. It's the fact that NOTHING is going to bring her back. So I got angry at that show, whatever it was, because they have no idea what they are talking about and really had no business taking on a topic as sensitive as the death of spouse by a terminal illness without having something meaningful and responsible to add to it. I may just be on the edge a little too much and it wouldn't have mattered what the response was, I would have likely found fault with it. I do that a lot.

I hate weekends now. Way too much idle time.

No comments:

Post a Comment