May 6, 2023

Dec 8, 2022 - Erwin Prom, May 5, 1990.

 Erwin Prom, May 5, 1990.

She asked me to go! It wasn't my prom - I went to Huffman, and I graduated the year before, so she asked me to take her to her prom, and I said, "I thought you'd never ask."  Wow, she looked good! I was the luckiest guy there!  And she was the luckiest girl there because I picked her up in a candy-apple red, 1986 Dodge Ram truck with running boards that had red lights on them, not to mention an air horn that played the Alabama fight song. I had an Alpine cassette deck in there with not two but four 6.5" speakers. We were truly the envy of all "car drivers" and people who got limos to take them to prom.

Before we went to prom, we went to eat at Dexter's on Hollywood off hwy 280 in Mtn Brook. It was good, but we weren't used to white table cloth dining experiences. I'm still shy, by the way, so the conversation was led by her the entire time. Off to prom...

Prom was at the BJCC and not being a dancer, we just kind of hung out and drank unspiked punch and talked to a few people. We did dance a couple of times to the slow songs and she will tell you that at one point I said, "you don't have any rhythm" but that doesn't sound like me. If I did, it was just because I'm stupid and couldn't think of anything else to say. Maybe I did. She still married me. We went outside to the middle of the BJCC, the open-air, circular brick area so we could talk, look at the stars,... and kiss. It had to be the truck!

We drove back to her parents house, we kissed again, and I walked her to her door and she went in. She told her mom after she went inside, "I'm going to marry that boy!"

Thank you all for indulging me on these stories. She is a precious soul and going back and reliving them is therapeutic for me. She has always been my best friend. I just cannot imagine life without her. Pass the kleenex, please.



No comments:

Post a Comment